Tuesday 27 August 2013

THE GREATEST BARRIER TO A SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW IS “UNPREPAREDNESS”




THE GREATEST BARRIER TO A SUCCESSFUL INTERVIEW IS
“UNPREPAREDNESS”

Unpreparedness is likened to a virus that triggers other disastrous consequences like anxiety and nervousness, lack of confidence, confusion, tension, fear, when placed on the spot. It is like sending someone to a war front without equipping the person with arms and ammunition, invariably he or she is going for a suicide mission.
Let me begin by telling you a little story about what unpreparedness can turn someone into. As the saying goes, he who fails to plan has already planned to fail. That was the case of Mr. Micah. Micah was a young graduate looking for a job and approached his uncle on the issue who later contacted his friend in one of the reputable property firms in the state.
Fortunately for Micah, he was called upon for an interview because it was his uncle’s friend’s company, Micah never thought of arming himself for likely questions and interview etiquette. He dressed up that fateful morning and dashed to the interview ground.
The first disappointment that came like a slap to Micah’s face was when he asked of the uncle’s friend (the CEO of the company) and was directed to the Human Resource Manager (HRM) who never knew him and told Micah that he was in charge of the recruitment process. There and then Micah knew the judgment day had come. The following conversation transpired:

HRM: Mr. Micah, can I meet you?

Mr. Micah: I’m already here with you, he answered. The HRM pulled down his glasses and looked at Micah, a look that conveyed a message that all wasn’t well. The HRM pretending as if he never noticed anything from his earlier answer then asked

HRM: Micah, why are you here?

Mr. Micah: I am here because I was invited for an interview…

HRM: Hmmmmmm, go on, tell me what you know about this company?

Mr. Micah: The CEO of this company is my uncle’s friend. My uncle spoke with him on my behalf and I was invited for an interview.

HRM: It is ok Mr. Micah, tell me, what can you do for us?

Mr. Micah: Sir, anything, anything you ask me to do I will…

And the conversation went on and on. The HRM... continue tomorrow, do not miss out



MONDAY ANIETIE ELIJAH
(@anietieb2k / monday.anietie@gmail.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment