Tuesday 27 August 2013

Nor be joke oooo

Honestly speaking or writing, getting a job is a job, but instead of been serious about it, why don't you look at it from the subtle point of view. Of course you need a job isn't it? Well that is a question you need to ask yourself consistently. I am talking about you! Yes you! You need to ask that question and provide the answer yourself, as a popular musician would say ''on your own'' (O.Y.O), oh! That's actually a state in south-western Nigeria.

I remember a cousin of mine, Tunji, who was and is a very brilliant man; he belongs to the set of people we call 'efikos' in school. I respect this guy a lot. He's quite older than I am and I looked up to this guy while growing up. I wanted to be like him because he was focused, he was neat, goal-oriented and physically, I would say an averagely good looking guy; which is probably the only thing I have more than him (I am very handsome by the way).

Tunji had a lot of positive factors that will make one conclude ordinarily that he was on the right track back then, but did I fail to mention that he lacked something? Yes! I think so. Anyway, Tunji lacked positive attitude and he was arrogant. At first, I thought the arrogance was something that got him ticking but as time wore on, I realized that with all his first class result, masters in public administration and his high intelligence quotient, he lacked the most important factor in a man's life which is 'attitude' or as some would say "emotional intelligence". This explains why he is still looking for his dream job (management consultant). Imagine Tunji the rude guy wanting to be a manager?! How ironic!

Anyway, I am sure that most of us must have been in job interviews and when they ask us that simple question of '' why should we hire you''? And then you start narrating your family history of how money has been your driving force or even go as far as telling them what every average Nigerian would tell them. Well I don't blame you, I was once in your shoes. I remember being in an interview and when I was asked why I wanted them to hire me, I foolishly and proudly told them '' because I need a job'', having that feeling that they needed a logical answer and I had just proffered one. Hmmm.

I guess I am not so surprised now why they didn't get back to me even though I had told friends and relatives that I had gotten the job already, I even organised a party to celebrate my stupidly perceived ''success". The rest is history (at least I got the job in my fictitious world!)

Please my fellow patriotic Nigerian youths, do not go to the interview thinking if you appeared pathetic, they would hire you. No they won't! because almost all companies are not charity organizations neither are they your relatives' creation although, you could have that rare stroke of luck of getting a job through a relative albeit, close or distant. Please, please and please I would say another ''please'' (Jara in yoruba terms).

Research the dream company you want to work in, become a fanatic and above all make sure you represent their brand. This way you won't look like the recent officer/guest on ''Sunrise morning program on Channels T.V (not mentioning names) when answering some questions ''about yourself''. So the question is about ''yourself'' and nobody else. Therefore, the interviewer expects a unique answer and an intelligent one that aligns with the DNA of that organization.

Lastly, I wish I would be able to tell you more about the unemployment ''ish'' but don't ''manage'' that cloth to the interview rather ''package'' yourself physically and mentally for the interview. As we always say back then with this few points of mine, I hope I have been able to convince and not to confuse you on........... I don't know........ Fill in the gaps yourself. Fill them, O.Y.O, I'm tired joor! I wan go sleep!.....................comments entertained.

  - Debo Badru
    BBM pin: 332B100C

10 comments:

  1. Hehhehhhheh, Debolistic Debo.... thumbs up guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creative ....gud 1 read in btw d lines u learn sumtin ....Funny tho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Colino, its' just so revealing. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Nice1 wayioooooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks a lot for the encouragement. We appreciate them a lot. Keep'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did pretty well. Keep on the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol debo!nice one funny but passes the message across.

    ReplyDelete